"We are what we believe we are."
C.S. Lewis

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Love and Duty

Source


We're headed off to church in a couple of hours.
My youngest daughter was asked to read In Flanders Field.  She is very excited and taking her role seriously, right down to the outfit: ivory dress with black cardigan and of course her poppy.

Driving home from Toronto last night we listened to Bruce Springsteen's The Rising, his decade-defining album released in 2002 which reflected on the September 11 attacks on America.
Listening to Into the Fire always tears me up, and I was thinking of how appropriate the lyrics are for Remembrance Day, to honor those New York City firefighters who became soldiers on that dark morning.


Into the Fire

The sky was falling and streaked with blood
I heard you calling me then you disappeared into the dust
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need your kiss, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs, into the fire

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love give us love

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love bring us love

You gave your love to see, in fields of red and autumn brown
You gave your love to me and lay your young body down
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need you near, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs, into the fire

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love give us love

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love bring us love

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love bring us love

It was dark, too dark to see, you held me in the light you gave
You lay your hand on me
Then walked into the darkness of your smoky grave
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need your kiss, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs, into the fire

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love bring us love...

May your love bring us love

(source)

To see my good friend JDPegs' family experience of love and duty please go here.

I hope your Sunday is a peaceful one.
xoDani

28 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post Dani, thank you. I wish your daughter good luck in reading In Flanders Field - I don't think I could get through it without choking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I wouldn't be able to do it, that's a great achievement for her.
      Such a tough morning my family lost 4 to the war so my mum always gets in a terrible state which gets me in a terrible state.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Patricia, I'll be choking up in the pews!

      Delete
    3. Tabs it's so sad. I wonder if it gets harder for your Mum as she gets older too, what a perspective she would have on it.

      Delete
    4. In Flanders Field always makes me teary too. Woke up thinking of your father this morning, Tabitha. Sending love.

      Delete
    5. Tabs, I know the 11th hour is over your way, but en route to Remembrance here and thinking of your lovely mum and that whole generation today. Strength.

      Delete
  2. i love this song dani. i too tear up everytime i hear it.
    wishing you and your family peace today also.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet it's really moving. I think that whole album was a huge achievement for The Boss, he really captured all of the emotion.

      Delete
    2. I agree - Nothing Man gets me every time.

      And so does I Vow to Thee My Country, I had to accompany a singer at yesterday's service and she did such a good job of it, I was definitely blinking away tears.

      Delete
  3. Dani - best of luck to your daughter. I love this album and this song in particular. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WMM, I knew you would, we are alike that way! Thanks I'll pass the wishes on to her, she loves public speaking, she's like her father that way!

      Delete
  4. I love that song . Bruce can make me tear up with his wisdom and that album says it all. Good luck to the little rascal and you'll be a proud Momma bear. What a wonderful day for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha she did really well. She's decided she should be the next premier of Ontario so the podium speaking is good practice!

      Delete
  5. I have goosebumps thinking of your daughter up there reading that moving poem. Have a peaceful Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy it was beautiful and very moving. And then the names of the soldiers -just from our parish- who were lost, read out loud during communion, quite something.

      Delete
  6. HAVE HOPE Dani, what a powerful way to get through the 401 and all the mad traffic yesterday. I love how that album reflects grace in sorrow. Bruce's "City of Ruins" also resonates with me because it was heard so much in response to the devastation and loss of Hurricane Katrina and is playing again now for Sandy's victims, of course. Thinking of you and E. this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GF. The Boss is the only thing that gets us through the traffic back and forth to Old Rascal. It gets worse by the month.

      Delete
  7. Nobody writes it and sings it like Bruce, I too am a huge fan. Good luck to your daughter, I'm sure she'll do it justice. Very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulky we'd have so much fun at a Springsteen concert together, maybe a venue for a Sulky Kitten conference?

      Delete
  8. I am sure your daughter did wonderful job with the reading, I can just see her poised and serious. Have a great rest of the weekend, I think I will listen to Bruce now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ajc you know her, she was poised and she doesn't get it from her goofball mother. Bruce= always a good idea.

      Delete
  9. A lovely post, Dani, though I've tried three times and cannot get through it without tears. I'm certain your daughter read that beautifully. Peace and love to you and yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany Rose it's become such an important day which I think speaks to our maturity as a culture, all good. She did a great job!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. WFF, don't those lyrics just bring it all back? You must be home safe and sound, I'm glad.

      Delete
  12. What an honour for Little Cute--I'm sure she did incredibly well. I'm so glad our countries take Veterans and Remembrance Day so seriously. We can never repay the soldier's sacrifice or the loss their families endured but we can certainly remember and give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dannie I'm also so glad this holiday is becoming more important, rightly so!

    ReplyDelete